As we pulled up (I was driving) the first thing I noticed was that it was a junk yard with no dock and no other Schneider trailers. We had been told that we were going to be picking up a loaded trailer, but we soon discovered that we were actually going to be live loaded. The second thing I noticed was a group of about 5 hispanic guys staring at us. I thought they were looking at me, as if a girl truck driver was a circus side show to gawk at. I started to get a little annoyed at that but after a few minutes I decided to not be so judgemental and go and figure out where I was supposed to put my trailer. If they want to gawk, let them gawk!
However what I soon found out was that they were the ones that would be loading the trailer, and they had been waiting for us to arrive. I went inside the office and one of the parts counter employees told me that they were moving some junk cars out of the way so that I could park the truck inside the junk car yard. Once I got it parked (just to the side not really in any spot at all) they started to go to work loading our trailer. I thought they would be done in a few hours, but in reality the whole process was not to be completed until 9 pm the next day!
It's funny how appearances can be so deceiving. I thought the hispanic guys worked for the junk yard/auto parts store, but come to find out, those guys were the actual customers! What they do is, the drive up to Wisconsin together, in a Chevy Silverado pickup truck. The parts store sells them as many parts as they can fit into a 53 foot trailer for one lump sum. So they load it up and ship it back down to Mexico.
They later told my husband that the reason why the come so far north to buy car parts is because it ends up being so much cheaper then parts stores further south. They then meet up with the trailer somewhere in Mexico, and sell their wares in some auto parts store that they have down there.
One of the men was the owner of said establishment in Mexico, and another was his son. The other 3 were the hired help.
There we sat waiting patiently all day to be loaded. A little after 5 pm one of the Mexican dudes knocks on the door. I roll down the window. 'Listo?' I ask. Meaning, is it ready? 'No' he says. My copilot then took over the conversation. They told him that they had not finished loading the trailer, but that the company was closing so could we come back tomorrow? They would start loading again around 6 am and should be done around noon or 1 pm. So we dropped the trailer and bobtailed out of there.
I should mention the method that they used in loading the trailer. The junk yard had 3 huge fork lifts that were constantly moving junk cars around, organizing them, placing them up on these pedestal thingies so that the mechanics could cut parts out of them, etc. The first things to be loaded onto the trailer were whole car engines. The engine would be lifted by one of the forklifts with a chain, and then placed inside the trailer. I am assuming that the Mexican worker bees would then take the engine block and pull them all the way to the back of the trailer. I'm not sure how many engine blocks they loaded but there were at least 5 or 6. After that, the fork lift would take an old truck bed full of parts, lift it up into the trailer, and the worker bees would unload, by hand, all of the parts that were inside the old truck bed.
I thought about this process while it was happening but again, I just assumed that they knew how to load a trailer...
My view of the junk yard
The next day we came back to pick up the trailer, they had finished loading it. They knew we had to go to the scale to weigh it. Luckily there was a Pilot with a Cat scale just 2 miles down the road. They followed us to the scale.
The gross limit for a truck is 80,000 pounds. And that weight needs to be evenly distributed. 12,000 pounds on the steer axle (the front tires), 34,000 pounds on the steer axle (that's the middle axle) and 34,000 on the trailer axle (that's the tires on the trailer).
The first time we weighed the load the gross weight was 84,880 pounds, almost 5,000 pounds over the legal limit! The steer axle was at 12,260 pounds, the drive axle was 37,000 pounds, and the trailer axle was 35,620 pounds.
And so the day began. As I said earlier, these guys were paying a flat fee for as many parts as they could fit into the trailer. But this was not our problem, we were NOT going to haul an illegal load all the way from Wisconsin to Laredo, Texas!
After the first weigh we took the truck back to the auto parts store so that they could take stuff off. Once they did this we re-weighed. We were still overweight by almost a thousand pounds so they had to take more stuff off. At this point they just did the work right there at the Pilot. After we got the load under 80,000 pounds, the weight was not evenly distributed. They had too much weight on the drive axle. I was thinking about those engine blocks they loaded first. We slid the tandems all the way forward which helped a little but not enough, they needed to move stuff off that middle axle.
Every time I weighed we would show them the scale ticket. Discussions were made in Spanish between them and my copilot. Sometimes it can be very convenient to have a copilit fluent in Spanish! After discussions I would park the truck and they would hop in the trailer to do some more moving around. As it got darker they used flashlights.
I had to re-weigh the truck no few than 12 times. Finally, a little after 9 pm, we got the load under legal limits. Phew!
During this process they told my copilot about how this happened to them the last time. The last time??? You would think they would have learned their lesson and known how to load a trailer, ugh!
But it's all good and despite it taking 2 days we are finally on our way to Laredo. On a side note, they also told my husband that whenever they cross the border back into Mexico, back into their home country, they are scared. On the contrary, whenever they cross into the United States they feel a sense of relief, a sense of safeness. I think this is so very sad, and it's a testament to the upheaval going on in Mexico. No wonder these people want to come to live and work in our country.
But that's all I'm going to say about that, I'm not writing a political blog here! Catch ya next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment